njc2007 (njc2007) wrote,

Trip entry number 14

Thursday, March 11, 2010 – Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

Randy’s birthday. Breakfast arrived. Mom can’t eat anything but the very dry toast and water. Puerto Chacabuco and she’s confined to the cabin for 24 hours. I got ready and went to get a tender ticket to head for shore. It’s a very small town there was absolutely nothing to see within walking distance. Anyone going to this port should book a shore excursion.

I brought back some Jell-O for Mom. We both went to bed and had a sleep. When I woke up I decided to order some food because the Jell-O seemed to settle in with no problems. But apple juice didn’t. I came back from supper and gave Mom a Gravol. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner. I only considered Gravol for motion sickness. Mom’s feeling a bit better. She spent most of the day in bed.

I was reading in the Garden Café with some iced tea and cookies when I spoke with a couple from Texas. (Barbara and Doug) While we were talking, a baby bird was in the Café. It appeared to have a broken leg. I picked it up in a napkin and we asked one of the crew for a box. He offered to take the bird; but wouldn’t assure us that he wouldn’t just thrown overboard in the middle of nowhere. When we refused to give him the bird, he told us we’d have to go to the reception desk. We did and they told us that we should release the bird on the Promenade Deck. We took him to the Promenade Deck where I put him down and made a nest out of the napkin in a place people were unlikely to see him. The next morning, very early, I went back. The napkin was still there, but the bird was gone. I choose to assume he found his way.

Tags: vacation

  • Two weeks

    It has been two weeks since my knee surgery and I'm finally making some progress. I wore my construction boots for the first time today and I'm…

  • Pre-op

    I had my pre-op assessment (by phone). We went through all the usual things like allergies and medications. Then I was told that I will be permitted…

  • Did a little work yesteday

    I went to work yesterday afternoon. Didn't do a lot; but had to put my new chair together. All the bending and moving has really tired me out, so I…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded