njc2007 (njc2007) wrote,
njc2007
njc2007

  • Mood:

Compact Fluorescent Bulb Danger

Tonight we had the bathroom light on and it flickered. Thinking it was just loose, hubby tightened it. The flickering stopped, but then there was an electrical fire smell. We immediately turned off the light at the switch. The compact fluorescent bulb had overheated, scorched the light fixture, and melted itself. If we have not been in the room and paying attention, we would have had a house fire. As it is, we still have that horrible smell in the apartment.

At least incandescent blubs don't burn down your house when they fail. The way the government is pushing the fluorescent bulbs is downright dangerous. Have they done their due diligence? Have they tested these bulbs extensively? The bulbs do not last nearly as long as they claim and they are incredibly hazardous (contain mercury) and must be very carefully handled to avoid breakage. They cannot be discarded in household garbage but must be taken to special hazardous waste depots. So they save a few kilowatts of energy. I'm not so sure that's a good thing if it costs even one person his/her life from a fire.

Moral of the story: If you have this type of light bulb and it flickers, turn the light off immediately and replace the bulb.
Tags: danger
Subscribe

  • Polaris Guest Announcement

    Wil Wheaton Now we just need Jim Parsons and I'd have to attend.

  • Polaris Recap

    Friday: Drove and drove. (Did I mention I hate idiot drivers who don't signal and do stupid things.) Arrival. We got exactly the same rooms we had…

  • Polaris

    Look out Polaris. We'll descend on you shortly.

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 2 comments